02 August 2009

Carla Bruni's Russian Tongue-Twister

1 August - 10k - 54.19 min. Cool drizzle, windy.

Does Sarkozy run with his dogs? I was asked the other day. I don't know, I could find no images or footage of him running with dogs. Only with his wife Carla and loads of security.


But I know he has three dogs, including a little chihuahua cross called Dumbledore and a beautiful white labrador Clara. While looking for info about Sarkozy's dogs I stumbled upon this video which reminded me of the famous Russian tongue twister based on the names of Karl and Klara.

(Click on images to watch the video.)



In the rhyme Karl and Clara steal similarly sounding things from each other. It goes something like this:

Off Klara Karl cleared the corals,
Off Karl Klara cleared the clarinet
(read phonetically transcribed Russian verse below)

No matter how hard you try, you end up mixing Klara into Karla, or Karl into Klar. Which is exactly what happened to the French journalist interviewing Carla Bruni. Her dapper husband President Sarkozy 'accidentally' walked into the room and, for want of something to say, decided to introduce the dogs to the journalists.

'This is Clara, the second one is Dumbledore and the third one - oh, it's just ran off...'

The journalist, looking somewhat dazed, tries to remember who is who. 'So, that one is Dumbledore, and this one is Carla'

'No, no, Carla is her-is me' Sarkozy and Bruni say in unison. 'The dog is Clara'.

Read and extended version of this post on Russian Review of Books

Please let me know if you see images of Sarkozy running with dogs.


Phonetic transcript of the Carl-Clara rhyme:
Karl ooh KlAry ukrAl corAlly
KlAra ooh KArla ukrAla clarnEt

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Alexander Anichkin said...

Thanks for your encouragement

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.

Alexander Anichkin said...

thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.
Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa?
My blog covers a lot of the same subjects as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.

If you're interested feel free to shoot me an email.
I look forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by the way!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...