26 April 2010

Another Great Run in London

10 k - 1 hr 00 min 32 sec - slow run with stops.

Luckily it wasn't as warm as they had forecasted. Great run, great crowds, London at its best.

I was especially prowd of my two women compatriots who won first and second. First time Russian women win London. Liliya Shobukhova (Лилия Шобухова) was first across the  line at The Mall in 2hr 22 min, smashing her personal best for the event in only her second appearance in London, having finished third last year. Shobukhova, 32, has been a top runner on 3,000 or 5,000 metres, but recently switched to longer distances.  “I think the experience on the track helped me tremendously,” she said. “I know I can rely on my kick.” Inga Abitova was second in 2:22:19.

The first Russian woman to win the event, she was never far from the lead. She came under pressure from Aselefech Mergia, of Ethiopia, who finished third, but, as she did in Chicago, surged away to win.

Full report on the dramatic race is here and full results and reports on the London Marathon web-site.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...